Jury Selection Begins for Bailey Murder Trial

Chauncey Bailey’s Family asked Judge to keep trial in Alameda County

By Thomas Peele
The Chauncey Bailey Project

Mark Cooley

The murder trial of two men accused of killing Post Editor Chauncey Bailey will remain in Alameda County – for now.
Superior Court Judge Thomas Reardon issued a one-sentence ruling late Tuesday that he will take the case through jury selection here while keeping open the possibility of moving it elsewhere if a fair panel cannot be seated.
“It is hereby ordered that ruling on defendants’ motion for change of venue is deferred pending voir dire (jury selection) in this matter,” Reardon wrote.
Lawyers for co-defendants Yusuf Bey IV and Antoine Mackey said during a change of venue motion last week that their clients can’t get a fair trial in Alameda County because of “relentless” coverage of Bailey’s Aug. 2, 2007, death.
Bey IV is accused of ordering the killing of Bailey; Mackey is accused of helping confessed killer Devaughndre Broussard, 24, hunt down Bailey and then flee the scene. Bey IV and Mackey are also charged with the murders of two other men, Odell Roberson and Michael Wills, in unrelated cases.
Bey IV, Mackey and Broussard remain jailed in Alameda County while awaiting trial.
Last week, Bailey’s siblings and father wrote  a letter urging the court to deny the change of venue motion.
“Moving this trial would be an injustice,” said the letter sent by Bailey’s brother, Mark Cooley, to prosecutor Melissa Krum, who sent it to Judge Reardon and defense lawyers. Cooley said the letter contained the sentiments of his siblings, Errol Cooley and Lorelei Waqia, and those of Bailey’s father, Chauncey Sr.