Tagged Oakland Violence

Oscar Grant’s Mother Gets $1.3M

BART has settled the $50 million case that was filed on behalf of the family of Oscar Grant—the young man killed January 1, 2009 by a former BART Police officer on the Fruitvale station platform. On Tuesday afternoon, following five settlement conferences over 2.5 years, BARTreached an agreement with Oscar Grant’s mother, Wanda Johnson, for $1.3million.
This is the second and final settlement in the $50 million case against the individually named officers, including Johannes Mehserle, for the death ofOscar Grant. The first was with Oscar Grant’s daughter, Tatiana, for $1.5million in January 2010. Last month a federal judge dismissed all thecharges Wanda Johnson raised against BART as an agency.
“The  tragic  death  of Oscar Grant will remain a painful memory for all of us,”  BART  Board  President  Bob Franklin said. “While we cannot alter the past,  we  have  been using the lessons learned as a catalyst to change our future.  We  on  the  BART  Board have been continuously taking the actions needed  to  improve  the  BART Police Department to ensure our officers are better-trained and better-equipped and we’re working with the community and our  customers  to earn their trust and confidence by keeping them safe and secure.”
“No matter what anyone’s opinion of the case may be, the sad fact remains that this incident has left Wanda Johnson without a son,” BART Board Member Lynette Sweet said. Sweet chairs the BART Police Department Review Committee, which is guiding the implementation of the changes within the police department. “We’re working hard to make the Police Department the best it can be for our officers, our customers and our community. This settlement is critical in our efforts to move forward.”

Chauncey Bailey Murder Trial Begins

The Chauncey Bailey murder trial finally began more than three years after he was gunned down in downtown Oakland, August 2, 2007, while walking to work to meet with Post publisher Paul Cobb.
With the permission of Oakland Tribune Editor, Martin Reynolds, The Post News Group will present weekly summaries and excerpts from the daily trial reports of the Chauncey Bailey Project and the Oakland Tribune.
Errol Zachery, a courtroom artist, and former co-worker with Chauncey Bailey at the Tribune, is offering his drawings of the court proceedings with the Post, Tribune and KTVU Channel 2 and other media outlets. He lives in Oakland, sells subscriptions for the Tribune and worked with Reynolds, Bailey and Cobb at the Tribune. He also started  working with the Oakland Post  in the 70’s. He , Cobb and Bailey lived downtown near the Tribune and the Post and often walked to work and around the Lake Merritt area.
“I had to do this out of respect for my friend Chauncey, he always promoted and respected me. I was planning to illustrate his children’s book project.”
Zachery has sketched the accused killers, jurors, judge, attorneys  and trial proceedings.
Zachery, also drew sketches during the high-profile, would-be President Ford assassin Lynette Alice “Squeaky” Fromme.
The Trial Begins
The jurors heard how confessed shooter, Devaughndre Broussard,  carried a short-barreled pistol grip shotgun, a 12-gauge Mossberg. Broussard told the grand jury that he fired a shot into Bailey’s right shoulder and another into his lower abdomen. He said he ran, but returned, remembering his orders to make sure Bailey was dead.
Broussard now claims Yusuf Bey IV, ordered him to kill Bailey.
Beys IV, along with the driver Antoine Mackey, are on trial for murder.
Bey IV, the former leader of Your Black Muslim Bakery, and Mackey, both 25, have pleaded not guilty to the charges and face life sentences without parole if convicted.
Broussard, now 24, is expected to testify in the case as part of a plea deal. Broussard has pleaded guilty to two counts of voluntary manslaughter in the case and will receive a 25-year sentence in exchange for his testimony. Read more